You may be surprised to find out that a lot of dating advice can also be helpful in job interviews. Here are a few tips for being comfortable and confident in an interview. Give yourself your best chance for success!
(1) Be unemotional. Being overanxious to look peppy and positive can backfire. Keep your emotions in check.
(2) Don't be a try-hard. Don't try too hard to be impressive. Be authentic. Sell your strong points, sure, but let them hire or not hire the real you. Nobody likes a "try-hard", even potential employers.
(3) Don't fear rejection. Give it your best shot and see what happens. Let the chips fall where they may. This is not the only job in the world.
(4) Make eye contact with everyone. One of the worst body language mistakes that people make is to look down too much. Make eye contact, but be sure to break it every now and then so you don't look like a weirdo.
(5) Don't lie. Even if we ignore the moral obligation to tell the truth, there are still problems that lying can cause. Yes, lying may help you in the short term. If you get caught, though, it makes you look like an idiot. Not to mention the effort it takes to sustain the lies you tell.
(6) Have a little swagger. A little confidence is good. Just don't feel the need to overdo it or force it. Believe in yourself.
Sometimes it is possible that even when you successfully pull off all of these suggestions during your interview that you still may not get the job. Just like in dating, maybe that one wasn't the best fit for you anyway. Keep looking.
*Follow me on Twitter @TheMingleMaster
***Don't miss a post. Get free email updates below.
AS FEATURED ON: