The Bible has a lot to say about women. Some of it can be controversial at times. This week I am going to look specifically at how Jesus interacted with women and how he treated them. If you want to make Jesus your role model, it is a good idea to learn about how he behaved in every situation. Here are some thoughts:
(1) Jesus respected women. Jesus often went against the norms of the culture of his day that did not give women many rights. In those days, women were second class citizens that were mostly not to be seen or heard. Jesus embraced and welcomed women in his teaching, healing and socializing.
(2) Jesus complimented women. In Luke 21, Jesus praises the woman who gives two coins as an example of generosity compared to the rich men who were there hoping to get credit for their giving. Also, in Luke 7 Jesus scolds the disciples for not being humble like the woman who was serving him and washing his feet.
(3) Jesus never put women down or insulted them. Jesus often used women as examples of wisdom in his parables. He never felt the need to look down on a woman or crudely joke about her to make him look like more of a man.
(4) Jesus didn't let fear of religious persecution stop him from caring for women. In Luke 13, Jesus healed a crippled woman in the synagogue on the Sabbath. This may not sound like that big of a deal, but in those days that kind of activity could get you killed.
(5) Jesus didn't kiss up to women. In John 8, Jesus saves the woman caught in adultery by telling the men ready to kill her to throw a stone if they were without sin. Afterward, he didn't just say that he loved her and that everything was okay--he told her to stop what she was doing. He loved her as a person but did not have any tolerance for her sinful behavior.
So, men, what should we learn from this? If you are a looking for a role model for the right way to treat women, look no further than Jesus. Respect the women in your life. Compliment them. Don't insult them or put them down in or out of their presence. Care for them. Don't kiss up to them. Just doing these five things alone will separate you from a lot of the men in our culture today. Be better.
*Follow me on Twitter @TheMingleMaster
***Don't miss a post. Get free email updates below.
AS FEATURED ON: