I have been writing a lot about dating topics lately, but today I am going to discuss something that applies to social situations of all kinds. This leads me to my tip for today:
MINGLE TIP #40: AVOID THE FEAR OF EMBARRASSMENT
Many people aren't comfortable in social situations because of a fear of embarrassment. Here is a list of some social situations and the fears that go along with them (along with why we don't have to have those fears).
(1) Dating fear--"I am afraid that the person will ignore me, insult me, reject me, etc." I already discussed the importance of not worrying about rejection in a recent post. As for the other things on this list, many times the people doing the rejecting make themselves look bad by the way they do the rejecting. Rude rejection behavior shows who the real loser is.
(2) Job Interview fear--"I am afraid that I won't get this job." This is a reasonable fear to have. Let it motivate you to be as prepared as possible instead of making you stress out.
(3) Party/Social Gathering fear--"I am afraid that I won't look cool."--Who cares if you look cool or not? You are just hanging out. Just be the most comfortable person there. Now that is cool.
(4) Waiting Tables fear--"I am afraid I won't get a good tip." Relax. Be friendly but don't try too hard or sacrifice your dignity. The tips will come.
(5) Public Speaking fear--"I am afraid I will mess up." Just like the job interview fear, this one is reasonable to have. Let this fear motivate you to prepare and practice until you hardly have to think about what you are going to say.
I think that late night talk show host Craig Ferguson has some great advice in his show theme song for dealing with fear of embarrassment. In the song, he says "Tomorrow's just your future yesterday." So true. Whatever happens in any of these situations, they will all soon just be a memory anyway. So, don't worry so much about how things may turn out.
*Follow me on Twitter @TheMingleMaster
***Don't miss a post. Get free email updates below.
AS FEATURED ON: