Okay, so you meet someone new that you would like to talk to again. The only problem is that you aren't quite sure what to do next. This brings me to my tip for today:
MINGLE TIP #70: DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR CONTACT INFORMATION
Getting contact info is one of the hardest steps of the dating process for a lot of people. They may be extremely good at talking to strangers, making connections, etc. But, when the time comes to express an interest to talk again sometime they freeze up. Who knows how many great opportunities have been lost because of this problem. Here are a few thoughts:
(1) Don't make asking for contact info a big deal. Many people take this process wayyy too seriously (from both sides of it). Asking someone for contact info is not a marriage proposal. It is simply showing an interest to talk again later. That's it. Don't make it more dramatic than it should be from either side.
(2) Don't feel like you are being rude or offensive to ask someone for contact info. Maybe they will say yes, maybe they won't. People who think that it is a major insult just to be asked should grow up and get over it.
(3) Be sure you have a good vibe or connection before asking for contact info. This one seems to contradict numbers 1 and 2. This is not the case. Trying to have a good vibe before asking is simply to help you give yourself the best chances of success.
(4) Don't worry about asking for contact info with people around. Man up. If one of the people who overhears you asking happens to be dating the person, then gracefully apologize and move on. It won't be the end of the world.
(5) Don't worry about being rejected. This is easier said than done, I know. The more casual you are about asking, though, the more casual you can be if your attempt doesn't work.
(6) Have a good reason to get the contact info. Having a specific event to try to go to in the future can make things go more smoothly. This is much better than just saying something like "we should do something sometime." This one is not an absolute must, but it will definitely help your chances of success.
(7) Avoid giving out your contact info without getting it back in return. People who say that they will only take your number but will not give their own out are not likely to call you. If they aren't comfortable enough with you to exchange contact info, then it's probably best to move on and not worry about it.
(8) Don't insist on getting a phone number. Some people feel more safe about giving an email. Respect that wish.
So, there you have it. If you really want to be a successful mingler then you absolutely must get comfortable with asking people for contact info. Don't let a good opportunity get away without at least trying to make something happen.
*Follow me on Twitter @TheMingleMaster
*The cool kids share.
***Don't miss a post. Get free email updates below.
AS FEATURED ON: