I once heard someone say that getting a date in college is like shooting fish in a barrel (in other words, easy). Where else can you find such a large number of similar age, unmarried, similar intelligence people? I think a lot of us didn't realize how good things were then. I know I didn't. Those days are over for a lot of people, however. So, what should people who have already graduated do about dating? This leads me to my tip for today:
MINGLE TIP #95: KNOW HOW TO GET A DATE AFTER COLLEGE
Here are some thoughts about how to date after you have made the walk to get your diploma:
(1) Don't sit around watching t.v. and looking at the internet all day. A little time spent on those things is okay, of course. If you are in the habit of spending hours and hours on these activities, though, you are wasting your time away. Time to get a life.
(2) Be willing to approach strangers. There are good ways and bad ways to approach someone you don't know. It's not always easy. See more of my thoughts on approaching in Mingle Tip #16.
(3) Be more flexible about age differences. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you what to like or not like in a person. If you are the type who is only open to dating people close to your age, though, then the odds of finding the right person get lower and lower the older you get.
(4) Don't expect to find someone at a bar. I am not saying that is impossible to meet a great person at a bar--I just wouldn't count on it. Hoping to find a great connection at a bar can just set you up for disappointment. If your objective for going anywhere is to find a girlfriend there, you are putting too much pressure on the situation. This is especially true on the bar scene. So be casual. Hang out and chat it up when you are out. Just realize that finding bar love is probably not your best bet for success.
(5) Get involved. Volunteer. Go to church. Help your community. Do whatever moves you. Just don't let approaching strangers be the only way that you are meeting people. It can be done, but that is a tough way to get dates.
*Follow me on Twitter @TheMingleMaster
***Don't miss a post. Get free email updates below.
AS FEATURED ON: