I am going to change a lot of lives and save some people a lot of grief and heartache today.
Giving and getting phone numbers from a person you just met has been going on since Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. The same night that he invented it he probably went down to the local pub and tried to get a girl's digits.
Yes, getting contact information is important. The problem that many people have, though, is that they read way too much into the number getting and giving process. I am here to tell you to stop it. Save yourself the trouble. Unleash a much healthier and lower stress approach to dating.
Here are some thoughts:
(1) Some people get or give a number out just to avoid an awkward situation. This is being a child if you ask me, but many people do it. There is no interest whatsoever, just an attempt to avoid having to deal with being uncomfortable.
(2) Some people get phone numbers just for sport. These "phone players" never did intend to call you. Getting numbers is just a game/challenge to them. Don't take it personally.
(3) Sometimes circumstances changes. Maybe he got your number and then a few hours later got back with his girlfriend. You never know.
(4) Sometimes the vibe/connection is lost or forgotten. It happens. This is why I always recommend sending a short text on the same day you get the number, or very soon after at the very least.
(5) Never give out your number without also getting the other person's number too. This may be a long shot, but maybe the number got lost somehow. You can at least send a followup text just in case.
(6) Sometimes alcohol influenced the decision to get or give the number. Enough said.
What do we take from all of this? We realize that just because we got or gave out a number that there is no guarantee that anything will come of it. Far from it. So, the wise thing to do is to not care. Be completely unemotional about the situation. No big deal either way. Your chances for something good happening only occur if the number exchange actually leads to another call or interaction anyway.
So, don't get all excited and tell all your friends that you just got or gave a number! Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Hey, I hope every number you get or give turns into something wonderful. Just do yourself a favor and wait until you actually make another connection before you celebrate it. Your dating life and mental state will be so much better off.
Find me on Twitter @TheMingleMaster
***Don't miss a post. Get free email updates below.
AS FEATURED ON: