My latest blog series will be exploring dating and relationship tips straight from the Bible. It has a lot to say about the topic. I figure that God is smarter than I am, so where better to look for inspiration? This is going to get real. And probably a little uncomfortable at times. Feel free to agree or disagree--and don't forget to comment.
*Note: If Bible study isn't your thing, check out one of my other series.
TIP #3: GOD HATES SEXUAL SIN
"For God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral."--Hebrews 13:4b
The language used with the commands against sexual sin in the Bible is very serious. It is not discussed as if it was just a little friendly advice like some things are in the Bible. It is clear that God hates it. Here are a few verses about sexual sin and some thoughts:
(1) Lustful Looking--"But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart."--Matthew 5:28
Ouch. This is a tough one. I think just about everyone has slipped in this area. The key here, I think, is to not plan on doing it, and to not think that God considers lusting after someone acceptable.
(2) Adultery--"He who commits adultery lacks sense; he who does it destroys himself."--Proverbs 6:32 This doesn't mean hooking up with someone who is having trouble in their marriage is okay. It doesn't mean that it's okay to get together with people if they are planning to get divorced. It means sleeping with someone who is married is not only a sin, but that this sin will destroy you. Yikes.
(3) Sex outside marriage--"The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery."--Galatians 5:19
The specific meaning of sexual immorality here meant sex outside marriage. There are tons of verses forbidding this. And it doesn't say it's okay as long as you are a certain age or if you have been married before. Can't get around this one.
(4) Homosexuality--"Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error."--Romans 1:27b
Quit trying to act like you are better than homosexuals. You are a sinner too. But it is pretty clear that the Bible does call this a sin.
(5) Coveting--"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife."--Exodus 20:17
So someone you know has a hot wife and you don't. Get over it.
(6) Children "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea."--Mark 9:42
Um, yeah. I don't think God likes this one too much. Sicko.
(7) Animals "Cursed is anyone who has sexual relations with any animal."--Deuteronomy 27:21
If you needed a Bible verse to change your mind about this one then you need more help than I can give you, bro.
Follow me on Twitter @TheMingleMaster
***Don't miss a post. Get free email updates below.
AS FEATURED ON: