I know people who refuse go out in public unless they have other people with them. They are afraid that it might look bad to be seen alone. This is a big mistake, and also not good for our social skills. This brings me to my tip for today:
MINGLE TIP #33: DON'T BE AFRAID TO GO OUT SOLO
Like I mentioned in an earlier post (Mingle Tip #31: Volunteer At A Retirement Home), I always try to have a "seize the day" kind of attitude. We only live once, and we only have so much time. Since that is the case, there is no way that I am going to sit at home when I when I would rather be out just because I am afraid of how it would look. Shooooooot. I don't think so. Here are some thoughts:
(1) Go out solo during the daytime. If you aren't used to going out by yourself, then try it out in a casual type of place, during the day. Go out to lunch, coffee, or something like that to get used to being on your own. Lunchtime and dinnertime are great times to find civilized people out and about.
(2) Bring something with you to read. This can not only keep you from getting bored, but it can also be something that can spark a conversation with a stranger.
(3) Dress like you are ready to mingle. You don't have to dress like you are going to the prom every time you go out, but at least try to look decent. You never know when you might run into someone interesting to talk to.
(4) Talk to people everywhere! Talk to people every chance you get. Don't just wait for someone who looks datable before you start talking. Talk to everyone you can. Get in the habit of breaking the conversation barrier as much as possible.
(5) Let being alone motivate you. If you find that you hate going out solo, then guess what--you should do something about it! Get out and mingle and line up some people for the next time you feel like going out if you don't want to be alone.
Whatever you do, don't let discomfort with going out alone get in the way of your social life. Be willing to go out wherever you want, whenever you want. Don't limit yourself to only going out in groups, and don't feel like you have to wait until you have company before you go anywhere.
Note: I know that some people may be afraid to go out alone for your safety reasons. If that is the case, or if you live in a rough area, don't let this stop you! Just be smart about the types of places that you choose to go to. Let's not be so afraid for our safety that we just lock ourselves in our rooms and never go out unless we are accompanied by ten friends or a body guard.
*Follow me on Twitter @TheMingleMaster
***Don't miss a post. Get free email updates below.
AS FEATURED ON: